Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Question #4: What is "extreme distress"?

The second title of this project is "extreme distress", and I would like to get a bit more into this line of the project, too. Of what do you think when you think "extreme distress"??? (Of course we are thinking about extrem distress for a book!) But what could that be??? Shakti wrote on her blog, that she did through her book around her room to distress it.... but how about making that a bit more extreme...like going to a really high house and through your book down from there...or how about other bad things that could happen to a book, like lying around in a moldy cellar for years and then getting really wet and the little mushrooms start growing on the pages. Or being buried in the woods for years!!! Maybe some books fall into the sea and get hurt by salt water and then washed to the shores.... And think about all those poor books that do survive houses being burned down....smoke coming out of their pages and their backs get burned......!!! What comes to your mind when you think about extreme distress...and how would you like to work that into your book??? Please post some thoughts and ideas, maybe you like to do a spread in your book about that,too....but you could also save that for later and put some extrem distress on your book when it has some more work in it...I will leave that up to you!

15 Comments:

Blogger Linda D. said...

Hmmm interesting questions... certainly something to get me thinking!!!

7:44 am  
Blogger Kari said...

For my final art prject at university, I took books to an archery range, shot them, burnt them, urinated on them, cut them, drilled them, waxed them, flushed them down the toilet and burnt them. It was great fun!!

Kari x

9:44 am  
Blogger HULIPA said...

hi!! that does it mean DISDRESS?

9:48 am  
Blogger shawa_strong_wind said...

Tee hee! "Disdress"! That´s entirely another question! ;-)

Really really really good ideas!

Shakti, *grinning with a mad glint in her eyes* (and thinking about throwing her book into the swimming pool, and/or a basin of really strong tea, or burning off some pages!...)

10:09 am  
Blogger Lara Lorelei said...

I can see a bit of distress and disdress going on in my book!! And Kari's ideas have made me think about a couple of things I'd like to do. I walk my labrador each day in woods (very early when no one else is about). She loves jumping in and drinking from muddy puddles, my book might have to join
her!!! Or I could collect some liquid mud for painting in my book.
Nice one Kari!!!

11:24 am  
Blogger Jill said...

I used to leave pieces of fabric outside..some on concrete, others hanging from various places, others in dirt...to distress them and then work on. Seems to me I may be doing this with this book. Kari...your ideas are wonderful - we can really go to any extremes here which is exciting - particularly since the books don't have to pass through the post lol!

2:35 pm  
Blogger Maria said...

Kari, I would've loved to see the look on your teachers' faces!! But more important, do you have pictures of the result? ,-)

/Maria

4:41 pm  
Blogger Kari said...

You can see the books during the process in the video stills in my blog:

www.inkytinker.blogspot.com

I don't think the tutors fully understood, LOL!

Kari x

9:28 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Everyone has such wonderful ideas on this! I couldn't come up with anything new. Until I took photos of the books in our house. And realised that some maybe under severe distress - covered in dust & grime, buried and forgotten under piles of much bigger books, lost in dark lonely corners. Wonder if books cry?

12:05 pm  
Blogger Kari said...

I've been thinking about this and can't get the idea of putting cement over the outside of the book. I think I am going to have to do it...

Kari x

5:05 pm  
Blogger Sandra said...

Well, they are working on the road near my house. I have played with the thought of putting my book there when they start the asphalt layer, not only to expose it to the heat and tar, but when the road is used again also by the continuing stream of cars and heavy trucks driving over it.
I fear they won't let me... besides, if I'd do that that would be end-of-project for me :-/

8:40 pm  
Blogger Jill said...

What a wonderful discussion lol...am now thinking of getting my daughter to drive back and forwards over my book.

I think I will start with paint/dye/tea drowned pages and leaving them to the elements...although a bit of fire is always excellent!

9:29 pm  
Blogger shawa_strong_wind said...

I´m not in the Casa de Papel project, but I´m following these proceedings with much interest!
;-)
Think I will try a few of those wonderful ideas - like driving over a book and letting it cook on a window sill the whole summer (Spain is HOT at this time!)!...

9:58 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Great debate!!! I've started on distressing mine, but suspect it will be tame compared to the rest of you!!! Mind, gouging big wavy lines in the cover with scissors was only the first step... ;)

2:00 pm  
Blogger Sandra said...

I think I'll put mine on a rope and tie it on the tail of a plane to Spain for a nice hot summer holiday on Shakti's window sill ;-)
You really have some great ideas, Shakti, I regret you're not in the project, but I love the ideas you come up with :-)

5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home