Sunday, July 09, 2006

Q3 Book lover...

After considering how I feel about my books, I decided to go around the house and photograph them. I have hundreds, probably over 1000. But I can't be bothered to count them all, having given up at 253 in my living room alone!
The spread is a photo montage of just some of the pictures that I took (the best ones ;>). Looking at all of my books, I realised how some are covered in dust; that they are disorderly (to say the least); a few almost forgotten and others piled haphazardly on the top of cupboards and the floor. They are, however, all loved and kept because I know that I may well re-read the fiction ones, and the reference books are useful.

I think the spread conveys how I feel about books quite well. You may notice a slight discolouring on the edge of the left page - this happened when I was trying to distress the overall book and spilt water on the pages! My attempts to distress the book are ongoing, but have so far included gouging with a craft knife, cutting holes in the front cover and layering with ink, ash, gel medium and bits of foam. The idea is that the book has been on a long journey, was caught in a fire, washed overboard and is now soaking up the sun on a rocky beach... if I work out how to get those effects, I'll let you know ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Lovely idea Linda.

I haven't started my book yet, am still thinking about it - I tend to take ages in the thinking process, but as there is no deadline it feels fine to do so. Am thinking of taking my paintstripping heat gun to the cover and maybe even the edges of the pages - it is a thick book I am going to use so think it may stand it. Dipping, leaving to the elements etc are all ideas I am toying with.

7:10 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Thanks - it comes from the title of the book, it being Castaway... but I want to be able to work on the pages which is why I'm shying away from dipping the entire book into water. Your paint stripping idea and leaving to the elements are good ideas too. Good luck & have fun :>

8:41 am  
Blogger Lara Lorelei said...

I might leave some spreads open to the elements if it suits what I'm doing. Overall I think I'm more into encrustation (lovely word)and a build up of debris/ layers that I am into dilution!

9:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home