Saturday, July 08, 2006

Extreme Distress - Cover

I decided my cover needed to feel like the book that came back to Bluma from Carlos. I wanted a toughened cover with a cement like feel. I now need to develop a filthy crust for my book, so I'm waiting for David (my husband) to go out and then going to half bury it in the garden. David really doesn't understand altering books at all, this will be beyond him. With any luck my labrador will find it and help the process a bit! Cloth Paper Scisssors this month has an interview with Cas Holmes who talks about burying fabric to weather it, so before I bury it I'm going to wrap a piece of muslin around it for use in the book later on.



I had a book last week from Pascale, which arrived in a wonderful recycled envelope, I am saving this until my book is finished as an outer cover I can tie up with string. I may even post it back to myself again!

4 Comments:

Blogger Linda D. said...

Burying the poor thing, eh? Sounds a good idea, it will be interesting to see if it works. Love what you've done so far. And I love that envelope - colourful AND perfectly distressed already!!!

5:50 pm  
Blogger Jill said...

Mmmm I liked the *concreting* idea - may use plaster of paris and some armature wire etc - will see what happens in my thinking - am having so many ideas that I am not sure which to go with - may do them all!

7:11 pm  
Blogger Lara Lorelei said...

I used two liquitex products the stucco paste and agel conatining black lava. I used a plastic knife with a serrated edge to spread it over the cover, different "spreaders" woudl give a different effect.

My book has been in the ground since late Saturday, we've had some rain and I'm out all day tomorrow, so I plan to "dig" it up on Wednesday before the manicure to see what sort of state it is in. I may have to bury it again... watch this space.

8:58 pm  
Blogger HULIPA said...

the envelope was from Suzan in deuchland, so I do a past on. It was very nice but I had keep one before.

12:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home